Thailand is a popular tourist destination known for its stunning beaches, rich culture, and mouth-watering cuisine. With its vibrant nightlife and bustling cities, Thailand is a great place to explore. However, as a traveler, you must be prepared for the unexpected, and one important aspect of this is carrying cash. In this article, we will explore the reasons why carrying cash is essential when traveling in Thailand, along with some tips on how to keep your money safe.
Why carry cash in Thailand?
- Limited Acceptance of Credit Cards: While credit cards are widely accepted in tourist areas and major cities, small businesses, local markets, and street vendors often do not accept them. Hence, carrying cash is crucial for buying goods and services from local vendors and markets.
- Avoiding ATM Fees: Many banks in Thailand charge a fee for international ATM withdrawals. By carrying cash, you can avoid these fees and save money.
- Emergency Situations: In case of an emergency, carrying cash can be a lifesaver. In some areas of Thailand, ATMs may be few and far between, and in the case of power outages or technical difficulties, ATMs may not work. Having cash on hand can help you pay for accommodation, transportation, and other essential expenses in such situations.
Tips for Carrying Cash Safely in Thailand
- Don’t Carry Too Much: While carrying cash is important, it is essential to carry only the amount you need for the day. Keep the rest of your money in your hotel safe or hidden in a secure location.
- Divide Your Cash: Divide your cash and store it in different places, such as your wallet, backpack, or money belt. This way, you won’t lose all your money in the event of theft or loss.
- Use a Money Belt: A money belt is a small pouch worn around the waist under your clothes. It is an excellent way to keep your cash and important documents safe.
- Be Aware of Your Surroundings: Be cautious of pickpockets and scams in crowded places, such as markets and tourist attractions. Keep your bag close to your body and avoid flashing your cash around.
- Use ATM Machines Wisely: If you have to withdraw cash from an ATM, make sure it is located in a well-lit and safe area. Cover your PIN when entering it, and do not let anyone distract you while using the machine.
Carrying cash is a crucial travel tip when exploring Thailand. With limited acceptance of credit cards, ATM fees, and emergency situations, cash is essential for buying goods and services from local vendors and markets. However, it is essential to keep your money safe by carrying only what you need, dividing your cash, using a money belt, being aware of your surroundings, and using ATM machines wisely. By following these tips, you can enjoy your travels in Thailand without worrying about your money.