Thailand is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world. It is known for its stunning beaches, beautiful temples, delicious food, and excellent shopping. One of the most popular items that tourists like to purchase in Thailand is custom-tailored clothing. However, many tourists have fallen victim to a common scam known as the Tailor Tricks scam. In this article, we will discuss what the Tailor Tricks scam is, how it works, and how to avoid being cheated.
What is the Tailor Tricks Scam?
The Tailor Tricks Scam is a common scam that is prevalent in tourist areas of Thailand. It involves a tourist visiting a tailor shop to get custom-tailored clothing made. The tailor will take the measurements and ask for a deposit. The clothing is promised to be ready in a few days or a week, but when the tourist returns to pick up the clothing, they find that it is not what they had ordered or that it does not fit properly. In some cases, the tailor may have disappeared, leaving the tourist with no recourse.
How Does the Tailor Tricks Scam Work?
The Tailor Tricks scam works by preying on tourists who are not familiar with the local customs or language. The tailor will often use high-pressure sales tactics to get the tourist to agree to have custom-tailored clothing made. They may offer a low price or promise that the clothing will be ready quickly. Once the tourist has agreed to have the clothing made, the tailor will take measurements and ask for a deposit.
The tailor may then use substandard materials to make the clothing or not follow the specifications given by the tourist. When the tourist returns to pick up the clothing, they find that it is not what they had ordered or that it does not fit properly. The tailor may refuse to make changes or disappear altogether, leaving the tourist with no recourse.
How to Avoid Being Cheated
There are several ways to avoid being cheated by the Tailor Tricks scam:
- Do your research: Before visiting a tailor shop, research the shop online and read reviews from previous customers.
- Ask for recommendations: Ask for recommendations from other tourists or locals.
- Negotiate the price and specifications: Negotiate the price and specifications of the clothing before agreeing to have it made.
- Pay with a credit card: Pay with a credit card so that you can dispute the charge if the clothing is not what you had ordered.
- Inspect the clothing before leaving. Inspect the clothing carefully before leaving the tailor shop to ensure that it is what you had ordered and that it fits properly.
- Don’t rush. Take your time and don’t feel pressured to make a decision quickly.
The Tailor Tricks Scam is a common scam that is prevalent in tourist areas of Thailand. It involves a tailor taking measurements and a deposit from a tourist to make custom-tailored clothing, but then providing clothing that does not meet the specifications or does not fit properly. To avoid being cheated by the Tailor Tricks scam, it is important to do your research, ask for recommendations, negotiate the price and specifications, pay with a credit card, inspect the clothing before leaving, and not rush the decision-making process. By following these tips, you can ensure that you get the custom-tailored clothing that you want without falling victim to a scam.