If you love Thai cuisine, you must have tried Thai fried rice, also known as Thai Kao Pad or Khao Phat. It is a delicious and popular dish that is served in almost every Thai restaurant worldwide. It is a quick and easy-to-make dish that can be prepared with a few ingredients that are easily available in any kitchen. In this article, we will discuss everything about Thai kao pad, from its ingredients to its preparation method, and some tips to make it even more delicious.
The ingredients required to make Thai Kao Pad are:
- Cooked rice: You can use any type of rice, but jasmine rice is the most commonly used type in Thailand.
- Meat or seafood: You can use chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, or any other seafood of your choice. If you are a vegetarian, you can use tofu or tempeh.
- Vegetables: You can use any vegetables that you like, such as carrots, onions, peas, corn, broccoli, or cauliflower.
- Eggs: Two eggs are enough for this dish.
- Oil: You can use vegetable oil, canola oil, or any other oil of your choice.
- Soy sauce: Use light soy sauce or fish sauce.
- Seasonings: Garlic, ginger, and chilli peppers are commonly used seasonings in Thai cuisine.
- Cook the rice: First, cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet or use leftover rice from the previous day.
- Cut the meat and vegetables: Cut the meat or seafood into small pieces and chop the vegetables into small cubes.
- Heat the oil: Heat a wok or a large skillet over high heat and add some oil.
- Add the seasonings: Once the oil is hot, add the chopped garlic, ginger, and chilli peppers and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the meat: Add the meat or seafood and cook until it turns brown.
- Add the vegetables: Add the chopped vegetables and stir-fry for a few minutes until they are cooked but still crispy.
- Add the rice: Add the cooked rice to the wok and stir-fry for a few minutes until it is heated through and mixed well with the meat and vegetables.
- Add the eggs: Crack two eggs into the wok and stir-fry quickly until the eggs are cooked and mixed well with the rice.
- Add the soy sauce: Add some soy sauce or fish sauce and stir-fry for another minute.
- Serve hot. Garnish with some fresh herbs and serve hot.
Tips for Making Delicious Thai Kao Pad
- Use cold cooked rice. The key to making good fried rice is to use cold cooked rice. If you use freshly cooked rice, it will turn out mushy and sticky.
- Use high heat: Use high heat to stir-fry the ingredients quickly, which will help retain the texture and flavour of the ingredients.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables: The vegetables should be cooked but still crispy, so don’t overcook them.
- Use a wok: Use a wok or a large skillet to stir-fry the ingredients, which will help to evenly distribute the heat and prevent the ingredients from sticking to the pan.
Thai Kao Pad, or Khao Phat, is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that is perfect for any meal. With a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking techniques, you can make this dish in no time. It is a versatile dish that can be customised according to your taste by adding your favourite meat, seafood, or vegetables.