Wat Chang Songkhram, known initially as Wat Ratchaburana, has one of Sukhothai’s largest bell-shaped Sri Lankan-style chedi. Walk a little north of the temple to see King Ramkamhaeng’s memorial, which locals often visit. Originally known as “Wat Klang Na”, meaning temple in the middle of the rice fields, Wat Chana Songkram has had many names over the centuries named after Wat Chana Songkram, meaning “War Victory Temple”, after the Thais defeated the Burmese greatly between 1785 and 1787. This beautiful Buddhist temple has a giant Buddha statue in the position of submission to the Mara. It is open to visitors every day without paying admission.
The temple is located at 77 Chakrabongse Road, a former monastery built before the first Rattanakosin period (before 1782). The former name is “Wat Klang Na” (วัดกลางนา; literally: temple in the middle of a rice field); later, during the reign of King Phutthayotfa Chulalok (Rama I), Prince Maha Sura Singhanat (the king’s younger brother). Granted to the Mon and monks who lived in the area, he renovated the temple to be inhabited by the Mon monks. Later, King Phutthayotfa gave Chulalok the new name “Wat Thong Pu” (วัดตองปุ), referring to the name of a town in Myanmar after the name of the Mon Temple in Ayutthaya and Lopburi in the reign of King Phutthayotfa Chulalok.
What do you need to know?
At the initiative of Phra Chula Chom Klao Chao Yu Hua (King Rama V), he first started constructing ashtrays for the members of the royal family of the Prince of the Rear Palace. He placed them on the rear balcony of Phra Ubosot. Queen Somdet Phra Sri Patcharin had given his estate to Prince Kritsada Piniharn Krom Phra Nares Worarit to oversee the construction. However, construction was completed during the reign of Phrabat Somdet Phra Pok Klao Chao Yu Hua, who donated his fortune to the Royal Institute to construct the temple. At that time, Prince Krom Phraya Damrong Rachanupab was the Minister of the Royal Institute. Prince Krom Phraya Narisara Nuwattiwong implemented Project in 1927. A ceremony was held to transport the ashes of royal members from the rear palace to the temple. Wat Chana Songkram is open to visitors and travellers daily with no entrance fee.
Wat Chana Songkram is open daily for visitors or travellers with no entry fee. And it was advertised as one of the nine temples in the Respect the Nine Temples (ไหว้พระ nine วัด) campaign by the tourism board. Of Thailand (TAT) along with other temples (Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Pho, Wat Suthat, City Pillar Shrine, San Chao Pho Suea (Phra Nakhon side), Wat Arun, Wat Rakhangkhositraram and Wat Kalayanamitr (Thonburi side) for the encouraging of life.